Tuesday, December 13, 2011

lazy gluten free chex mix

With the holiday season upon us, I have been craving Chex Mix.  There are lots of varieties now, but I wanted the kind I was used to growing up, the original.  I couldn't find a plain old gluten free recipe, although the Chex website has a number of recipes available.  So I adapted the original, non-gluten free recipe. 

The original:
  • 3 cups Corn Chex
  • 3 cups Rice Chex
  • 3 cups Wheat Chex*
  • 1 cup nuts*
  • 1 cup bite size pretzels
  • 1 cup bagel chips*
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce**
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt***
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
*Omitted in my version tonight

I lack gluten free Worcestershire sauce, although options are available.  I just don't use enough to justify buying a whole bottle.  The same can be said about seasoned salt; some has unnamed gluten as an ingredient.  I love the pretzels in Chex mix, so I replaced the nuts and bagel chips with more pretzels.  (In the past, I've added Kix-type cereals [the gluten status of Kix is debated] or popcorn.)  Tonight simplicity was my best friend.

For the mix, I used:
  • 4 1/2 cups Corn Chex
  • 4 1/2 cups Rice Chex
  • 3 cups Snyder's Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks


**In place of Worcestershire:
  • 3 tablespoons San-J Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce (a staple in the gluten free kitchen)
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
I use an extra tablespoon because the flavors tend to be a little less intense than traditional Worcestershire sauce.


***Instead of seasoned salt, I played around with spices.  I encourage you to use what smells & tastes best to you.  My mix:
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder


I've never before microwaved my Chex mix, but tonight (as I was cooking dinner) I decided to give it a shot.  
  • Mix the desired crunchies in a large microwavable bowl.  
  • In a separate smaller microwavable bowl, nuke the butter.  (I used 7 tablespoons instead of 6 because I love butter.)
  • Mix the seasonings into the butter bowl and stir well.  Pour onto the crunchies gradually, stirring as you pour.
  • Microwave for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring well every 2 minutes.  I emphasize this because I stirred, but not well.  When I pulled the Chex mix from the microwave, I had some stuck together in the center and smoking...  It made all the yummy kitchen smells absolutely dissipate. 
  • Spread onto paper towels to cool and keep in an airtight container.  
Dunzo!!

4 comments:

  1. Looks great, Jessi! My favorite part of Chex Mix are the rye chips. Yours looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Logan! Those were yummy, but I haven't quite found a gluten-free version. The craving last night was so strong, I just went super simple :) I snacked on it throughout the day - even with breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be great snacking for anyone! Your photo looks totally edible! When you were growing up, my Chex Mix was made with soy sauce as often as it was made with Worcestershire, so you had an acquired taste for the flavors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've brought some home for Christmas if you'd like to try it!

    ReplyDelete